Photo by Xavier Fiddes
Neil Bateman LLB, Dip SA, CQSW, Dip MS, MEWI
I specialise in welfare rights and social policy issues - solving benefit problems. On this website you can find out about my consultancy services, training courses and my publications.
I have over 40 years experience of welfare rights work – as a front-line adviser as well as an advocate, trainer, author, strategic manager and policy adviser. I have represented claimants at all levels of the social security appellate system and have also been involved in judicial reviews of social security and related matters. I am also very experienced at carrying out quality audits and developing strategies for social welfare law advice services.
Unfortunately, I do not provide a public advice service and can only accept referrals from other advisers, care and housing bodies and solicitors.
I provide the following services:
- Training about welfare benefits
- Sorting out benefit problems for solicitors' clients, and service users referred by social landlords, social care bodies, charities and local authorities
- Mentoring and support for new advisers
- Expert witness reports in matrimonial, probate and personal injury cases
- Casework on benefit problems
- Reviews and audits of advice services
- Leaflets and articles on social security subjects
- Research into social welfare legal and policy issues.
I am working towards becoming a greener business – recycling waste, using recycled products, using energy-efficient appliances, electricity from non-carbon sources and minimising my use of cars and planes.
When I am not working I play one of my saxophones, go for long rides on one of my bikes, play fencing, tennis and badminton, take photographs and make repeated efforts to sort out the garden. I also organise the Ipswich Jazz Festival www.ipswichjazzfestival.org.uk.