These standard letters, (in Word format, unless otherwise stated), are invaluable tools for welfare rights work. You may save them on your hard drive or complete them on screen and print and you can adapt them for your own use – but I retain copyright and you must keep the footer on each letter.
Some letters are free, but for a one-off fee of only £10.20 (includes VAT) you will have unlimited access to all the letters so that you can download them whenever you need to. From time to time, the letters are updated and added to.
This fee applies to each workplace – so for example, all the advisers in a single workplace will be covered by one fee. After paying the fee, you will be emailed a VAT receipt which will contain your password. You can pay by credit or debit card or a Paypal account. To purchase unlimited access now, click the Buy Now button below.
Words in bold print in the letters contain instructions and/or optional information and should be deleted before you print. From 28th October 2013, the law is changing to stop people appealing against a benefit decision made after this date unless they have both first asked for and had a reconsideration of the benefit decision they are disputing and the reconsideration does not change the decision favourably. You cannot use the benefit appeal letter for decisions made from 28th October 2013. These changes do not apply to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit and the right to appeal straight away will continue for these. The changes apply to Child Benefit and Tax Credits from April 2014.
Terms and Conditions:
- The letters are designed to be used by advisers. And the letters are only as good as the adviser who uses them; they must be used with appropriate advice and proper examination of the issues in each case, so no liability can be accepted for how they are used or for the results obtained.
- These letters are copyright ©. Yes it's easy to copy them and give passwords to other people, but that deprives authors of income and is unlawful. I will take action for breach of copyright if I find you have forwarded a password onto a third party or outside your workplace or if you have breached the conditions about only using the letters within your workplace. It is possible to track such activity.
- Client's consent to disclose information (Written by DWP)
- Tax Credits consent to disclose (pdf) (Written by HMRC)
- Intention to claim (Can still be used for all DWP benefits)
- Notify a change of circumstances
- Benefit appeal (Can be used for all Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit appeals but only for DWP benefit decisions made before 28/10/13)
- Tax Credit appeal (pdf) (Written by HMRC)
- Mandatory Reconsideration (doc) (First stage of the appeals process for DWP and HMRC benefits & tax credits)
- Revision/supersession request
- IS/ibJSA delay – interim payment request
- HB delay – interim payment request
- Request to waive recovery of overpayment: HB/CTB (In addition to appeal)
- Request to waive recovery of Tax Credit overpayment Use with HMRC form TC846 from www.hmrc.gov.uk
- Request to waive recovery of other benefit overpayments (In addition to appeal)
- Social Fund Review request: first stage
- HB/CTB backdating request
- Discretionary Housing Payment claim
- Social Fund Review request:Social Fund Inspector stage
- Social Fund Community Care Grant: Letter to support a claim
- Severe hardship and estrangement claims for IS/JSA by young people
- Request for compensation because of delay or error by DWP
- Letter before action for missing benefit payment (England & Wales)
- Application to waive or defer a Work Focused Interview
- Application to treat as having Limited Capability for Work and/or Work Related Activity for ESA
- Spreadsheet for working out diminution of capital when undeclared capital has created a benefit overpayment
- DLA/AA evidence diary (for supporting claims, revisions & supersessions about the care component- 18 pages)
- DLA mobility component: walking test for "virtually unable to walk" cases
- DLA higher rate mobility component and severe mental impairment
- Application for deductions from IS/ib JSA/PC towards rent arrears (Request by tenant)
- Application for deductions from IS/ib JSA/PC towards rent arrears (Request by landlord)
- Application for payment of hostel service charges by deductions from IS/ib JSA/PC